UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan. 12
LONDON Jan 12 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening steady on Monday, according to financial bookmakers. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* The UK blue chip index closed down 1.1 percent at 6,501.14 points in the previous session.
* SHIRE - Shire has agreed to buy NPS Pharmaceuticals Inc for $5.2 billion in its biggest acquisition yet, as the Dublin-based drugmaker strengthens its position in the lucrative field of medicines for rare diseases.
* ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND - The bank is preparing to withdraw from its Asian corporate banking business and put most of it up for sale, according to a report by Bloomberg citing a person with knowledge of the discussions.
* ASTRAZENECA - The drugmaker said its MedImmune biotech unit had struck a deal with unlisted U.S. company Omnis Pharmaceuticals on the development of cancer-fighting oncolytic viruses.
* TESCO - Tesco could close up to 13 smaller shops in Hungary as part of a cost-cutting drive, the daily Magyar Nemzet reported on Saturday, citing unnamed sources.
* BP - BP and Anadarko Petroleum Corp narrowly failed to persuade a U.S appeals court to reconsider its 2014 ruling that they could face civil fines under federal pollution laws over the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
* RIO TINTO - The global mining company plans to invest $500 million in a diamond project in India's Madhya Pradesh state, its Chief Executive Officer Sam Walsh said on Monday.
* AO WORLD - The company said AO website revenue for three months to 31st December 2014 was up 38 percent. Continuación...