European shares lifted by Metro and LafargeHolcim dividend plans
* FTSEurofirst 300 up 0.9 percent
* Higher dividend from Metro as restructuring pays off
* Housebuilders boosted ahead of UK budget update
* Shire falls after Reuters reports of renewed interest in Baxalta
* Spanish banks lead IBEX lower (Updates prices)
By Alistair Smout
LONDON, Nov 25 (Reuters) - European shares rose on Wednesday, buoyed after German retailer Metro and construction firm LafargeHolcim both announced plans to pay more cash to investors through dividends.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 was 1.3 percent higher at 1,499.89, having fallen 1.6 percent over the first two sessions of the week.
German retailer Metro gained 5.2 percent after it raised its annual dividend more than expected and said it would pay out more of its profits every year from now on, citing the positive effects of restructuring and significantly improved net debt. Continuación...