* BHP Billiton has approved further financial support for samarco.
* amount of us$181 million has been approved to fund remediation and compensation programs identified under framework agreement
* a short-term facility of up to us$115 million will be made available to samarco to carry out remediation and stabilisation work
* this amount of us$181 million will be offset against group’s provision of us$1.2 billion, recognised as at 30 june 2016.
* funds will be released to samarco only as required and subject to achievement of key milestones
* bhp billiton brasil continues to work through options for restart with vale and samarco.
* “restart will occur only if it is safe and economic to do so and necessary approvals have been obtained from brazilian authorities” Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage: